Hey Yu!

Wednesday, March 19, 2003

I've been teaching my 7th graders about health this semester. To intro the topic, I have them do a quick study on the levels of body organization from organ systems to cells. While I was "lecturing," I injected some health tid-bits here and there to foreshadow the next few months. Today, one of my students who usually comes to eat lunch in my classroom reminded me why I teach and why I teach science. Her usual lunch is hot cheetos and a soda. Today, she brought in a Subway sandwich (bought early this morning) and low-fat juice. She said that she took note of what I mentioned about bad eating habits and decided she wanted to be healthier. In addition, she told her mom not to stress out so much. She couldn't remember the word for ulcer, but she told her mom that she'd get a "hole in her stomach" if she continued to be so stressed.

Wow, what I said actually created a behavioral change. Yes, it was only one student, but it's nice to know that I'm being heard at all. I danced around the classroom in joy. =)

new goal: learn from this and make sure that whenever I do hear God, it goes beyond knowledge into action.

oh, by the way, i have been a lot more positive and joyful in the classroom this week. i'm a bit less tired but I also think that my heart is really opening up to the kids again. yay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home