Hey Yu!

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Books I've read in the past few months:

Push by Sapphire - excellent. An illiterate girl's journal about her painful past, present, and hopeful future.

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger - fluffy topic but well written. About a girl's experience as an assistant to a high-powered, extremely villanous fashion editor.

The 5 People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom - don't quite understand why this book is a bestseller.

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri - I always like insight into other cultures...this one was Indian.

Foundation, Foundation & Empire, Second Foundation, and Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov - probably among my favorite books. i read them in that order and liked it that way...would suggest the same order for anyone reading it the first time. It's about the futuristic science of psycho-history (simplified: a mathmatical approach to predicting the future) and the implications it has generations later.

I Robot by Isaac Asimov - I think Asimov is so smart and creative. I would have read this even if there hadn't been a movie (which i enjoyed). Short stories about the interesting quirks that can happen to robots when they face the confines of the 3 laws and external factors.

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan - with my new-found love of sci-fi, I thought i'd venture into other genres I generally avoid. This book fits into fantasy and i enjoyed it b/c of the rich character development (782 pages total!) but i slightly resent being forced to read a sequel. I like it when i find closure within one book but still yearn to read the next. This book kind of leaves things hanging but it was good enough that i'll probably read the next one some day.

Am currently reading Hoot by Carl Hiaasen - young reader's book. about a boy's adventures in his new Florida town. cute so far (very cute cover).

I also halfway started a bunch of books which i don't usually do - i normally finish them b/c i'm optimistic that the book will redeem itself in the end but after reading Asimov, i became a bit snobby about what i was reading. the weird side-effects of reading good literature.

4 Comments:

  • Hey Michele!!! Doh...my mistake, I totally know you went to Cy-Fair...not Cy-Falls. Anyway, this is Chun Kuo from JV. Remember me??? =) Haha...chatting on your blog page probably isn't ideal, is it? Shoot me an e-mail @ cckuo61us@yahoo.com if you have some time, k?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 18, 2004 at 12:05 AM  

  • Lately I've been wanting to read a Sci-fi/Fantasy book. Got any ideas as to a good book I might be able to read?

    thanks :)

    By Blogger AlphaD, at August 18, 2004 at 12:15 AM  

  • Hi Chun, of course i remember you...i'll e-mail you soon. =)
    ______

    Toothcake...do i know you? But as for books, again i'm not all that knowledgable about sci-fi/fantasy b/c they're semi-new genres to me but here goes:

    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - easy to read and such a great story...I liked the sequels but i know many people who didn't

    Isaac Asimov books

    the Prydain Chronicles (beings with The Book of Three) by Lloyd Alexander - seems elementary schoolish but a great series about a boy becoming a man

    And these are some on my to-read list b/c suggested by other people:
    Game of Thrones by George R. Martin
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings
    Magician Apprentice by Raymond Fiest
    all of those are the first books in fantasy series

    and apparently David Gemmel is also a great fantasy author but he does not write in series

    I guess that's a start, huh? hope that helps...

    By Blogger yum7, at August 18, 2004 at 2:43 AM  

  • That's awesome! Thank you so much.

    I was looking through some old novels in the "old novel closet" and I found Game of Thrones book one. Lucky me.

    Thanks for the recomondations, I really wanna look into enders game soon.

    *adds to favourites*

    By Blogger AlphaD, at August 18, 2004 at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home